Most Read FAQs
BusinessGuest is useful every time you use SharePoint internally and need to exchange files and messages with external people. Here are some real life examples of business cases where BusinessGuest can be used at great benefit:
- In Construction: for sharing plans and project documents with customers and contractors and receiving feedback in an orderly and traceable way.
- In Banking & Financial Services: use BusinessGuest to easily send contracts to customers, track their downloads and their changes, and engage a conversation with customers until the deal is closed.
- In Education: for sharing teaching materials with contractors and exchanging about them with students or groups of students.
- In the Public Sector: to regroup people from several agencies or public services quickly for working on a particular project such as an outdoor event.
- For Procurement: for sending contracts and bid data to suppliers and managing the bidding process and Q&As directly from SharePoint.
- For Sales & Marketing: for sending product and contract information to customers and other partners, then gather and track updates and feedback while keeping everyone in the loop, including external people.
- Even internally: even within the same company, it is not always straightforward to regroup all the team members of an horizontal workgroup or project in the same SharePoint site. Sometimes distinct departments each have their own SharePoint environment, or several subsidies don’t share the same Active Directory or SharePoint environments. BusinessGuest allows you to easily and quickly build a bridge between the team members even if they use distinct SharePoint sites.
- And so on, and so on… almost any modern collaboration use case is an opportunity for BusinessGuest to simplify, accelerate and strengthen the exchanges between people in a distributed team.
BusinessGuest will automatically detect your network proxy configuration and use your proxy to connect from SharePoint to the sharing area.
There are 3 possible implementations of BusinessGuest with regards to Cloud vs. On-Premise architecture:
- SharePoint On-premise, Sharing area on-premise: Please Contact us to order the sharing area package that can be deployed in your DMZ, on your own network. No cloud at all, you control everything.
- SharePoint On-premise, Sharing area in the cloud: Simply Contact us to receive the package to deploy on your SharePoint farm.
- SharePoint in the cloud, Sharing area in the cloud: A SharePoint 2013 App for SharePoint online is coming soon to the App marketplace. Stay tuned!
Calinda solution’s UI can be very easily customized:
- Visual customization: through CSS add-on extensions
- Layout customization: through HTML templates extensions
To customize the user experience (UX):
- Custom extensions make everything possible!
And of course, security is always enforced at the server level, making it safe to add customizations without compromising the confidentiality and stability of the system.
We believe collaboration is here to do business, and that no business is about collaboration and social networking alone. As a result, SocialFactor is not only designed to serve as an Enterprise Social Network by itself, like products such as Yammer in the cloud.
Instead, SocialFactor works both on-premise and in the cloud, and it provides the major functionality required to build a social-enabled and secure high performance business collaboration platform that will support a given business need or scenario. We provide:
- Community management and directory features
- Community and multi-community conversation features
- Profile conversations features (including expert suggestions and sharing)
- Conversation portal features
By combining and customizing these features and webparts, customers and partners can very quickly build the platform they need to support a specific business purpose, such as:
- A SharePoint social intranet
- An innovation management platform on SharePoint, connected with the ideation tools
- An expert community platform, connected with the e-mails and business tools of experts
- A project management and collaboration platform on SharePoint, connected with the project management tools
- A collaborative product lifecycle management (PLM) connecting all the PLM, CAD, project management and ERP tools and letting people collaborate with each other from their respective professional environments (collaboration hub)
- And as we did for Orange group’s 180,000 employees, a SharePoint Enterprise Social Network of course!
Building a business solution with SocialFactor building blocks can be a very quick task (2 hours to build a simple expert community platform for example) and an ambitious project, depending on the requirements and specifics of the project.
Just register on this site and download the setup package
Getting BusinessGuest is as easy as Contacting us for a free 30 day trial. After registering you will receive a license activation key that will let you activate BusinessGuest on a SharePoint site collection and BusinessGuest on any of the sites. The first time, you will need to install a SharePoint WSP Solution Package on the SharePoint Farm (by running a setup program that you will be able to download after registration). Once the solution package is deployed on SharePoint, BusinessGuest can be activated on site collections. You can use a global license set up at the time of deployment, or business users may purchase local licenses to activate their own site collection without requiring the IT to purchase a global license.
Run the setup program on one of the farm’s SharePoint servers
When signing up for a BusinessGuest plan, you downloaded the setup.exe for the SharePoint solution. To deploy the solution package, run the setup.exeon one of your SharePoint farm’s application servers (preferably the server that hosts the Farm’s Central Administration Service).
Global vs Local License: when you deploy BusinessGuest on the farm, either you purchased a global license for the whole farm, or you deploy a free but limited version of the package. The global license is included in the setup program file and will be read automatically by the setup program. In both cases, business users have the ability to purchase local licenses for their Site Collections.
BusinessGuest On-Premise Deployment: The BusinessGuest solution you get from this site can be deployed on SharePoint On-premise, but relies on our Cloud service to manage the communication with the BusinessGuest external users (e.g. to replace large attachment by secure download links). Your SharePoint farm stays on your Intranet and behind the firewall but communicates the elements internal users shared with BusinessGuest users to our secure Cloud service. In case you want to deploy a 100% on-premise instance of BusinessGuest, it is possible, but please contact us as different conditions and pricing apply.
Add the BusinessGuest webpart to your site and follow the guide
To activate BusinessGuest on one of your SharePoint sites:
- Connect to the site as a site owner
- Then either deploy the BusinessGuest webpart or click on the Activate BusinessGuest button on the ribbon. If you cannot find it, this means that:
- the BusinessGuest Solution Package is not installed on your SharePoint environment
- Or, it is not deployed on your Web Application
- Or, the BusinessGuest feature is not activated in your Site Collection
In this case, ask your IT department to deploy it and activate it, by sending the setup program you downloaded when signing up to BusinessGuest to them, and then try again.
- Follow the activation steps:
- Activate BusinessGuest on your site. If needed, specify the license your are using (a global license or a site collection local license).
- Predefine the BusinessGuest external users that you want to make available for interacting from this site. Also define whether other users can add new BusinessGuests on-the-fly.
- Select the internal users that are allowed to use BusinessGuest to interact in this site.
- Define the way you want to use SharePoint document libraries to track documents people attach to their messages during the interactions (Do not track them in document libraries, Track only updated documents, or Track all documents, either as an update in their source document library or as a new document in a default document library)
- You’re done! Now you can use BusinessGuest to share documents or send messages, internally or with external partners:
- from the BusinessGuest page (accessible from the quick launch menu), or
- from the BusinessGuest Extranet Web Part, or
- by choosing the “Share with BusinessGuest…” option on any document in the site’s document libraries.
From the webpart or from the contextual menu of any document
If BusinessGuest has been activated on your SharePoint site and if you were granted the permissions to use it, you may use it.
- To share any file from the site’s document libraries, or
- To start conversations with internal and external participants from the BusinessGuest Web Part
To share any document with internal & external participants and track their feedback and updates:
- From the site’s document libraries select the “Share with BusinessGuest…” option in the file’s contextual menu. This will open a popup dialog to let you select the recipients, type a message and share the file and message. The new conversation will be associated to the document. You may retrieve all conversations linked to a document in a new column Conversations of the document library.
- From the BusinessGuest page or Web Part, in the first tab, select the document(s) you want to share from a library or on your local computer, select the recipients and type a message. If you select SharePoint documents, the conversation will be linked to them in the Conversations column.
To send a message and track replies and attachment, use the second tab of the BusinessGuest Web Part, “Send a Message”. Just type the message and select recipients.
To retrieve all conversations, including feedback from the internal or external participants, go to the BusinessGuest page of the site, or add the BusinessGuest Web Part to any of the pages.
It’s in your e-mail. To reply, just reply to the e-mail…
Were you invited to a BusinessGuest conversation by one of your customers or partners?
If so, using it is as simple as reading and replying to the email you received. If your partner shared a file with you, the file is attached to the email. If it is a large file, it was replaced by a download link. Just click on the click to retrieve the file.
By replying to the message, you reply to your partner and ensure their collaboration process runs smoothly because your reply will be elegantly added to her own collaboration platform.
If you attach files to your reply, these files will also be received by your partner. Depending on her configuration, the files will also be added to her collaboration platform, in order to make sure everybody in the project has the same level of information.